The International Students’ Association (ISA) is a Student Representative Association (SRA) representing all undergraduate international students at the University of Alberta. The ISA advocates for interests such as hybrid lecture delivery, recording lectures, Ride Transit Program inclusion, anti-racism, campus safety, etc. and provides programs/services to its members. The ISA is proposing a fee of $3.50 per semester per international student. Students who are not on campus (co-op/internship or study term) will not be charged this fee.
The ISA seeks to create an International Students’ Association Fee (ISAF) to do the following:
- Expand the I-Card (Discount Card) Program to help international students get discounts and save money at restaurants, stores, retailers, etc.
- Provide events and programs year-round such as International Students’ Day (I-Day), bonfires, and social nights.
- Fund student groups, including BIPOC and regional groups (CSSA, INDSA, etc.) to subsidize events and programs planned by international students.
- Provide welcome services to new international students with customized orientation programs and welcome booklets.
- Host mental health workshops and professional development activities such as career fair, alumni nights, and time management/burnout prevention workshops.
- Support ISA operations and the creation of an International Students’ Hub on campus.
- Provide dedicated awards for international students.
- The fee will have a two (2) year lifetime, Starting September 1, 2022, and expiring on August 31, 2024.
- ISAF is an optional fee, thus students may opt-out of paying the fee by filling out an online form found on the ISA website.
- Accountability, transparency and administration: The fee shall be under the supervision of the University of Alberta Students’ Union Audit Committee, and ISA shall release annual audited statements on the usage of the fee to all its members. The ISA Board/Council members shall administer the fee and be directly elected by international students.
ISAF was passed on March 10, 2022 with 525 votes in favour (66.25 per cent) and 18 percent voter turnout. Now the ISAF collection will start on Sep 1, 2022 and the fee shall be renewed in March, 2024. International students can opt-out at starting of every semester.